Thursday, March 17, 2011

We Are Being Watched

Following is a short list of a few "incidents" that have occurred over the last few weeks. See if you notice a common denominator...

  • After Sunday church services hubby and I stopped at a favorite Chinese buffet. As we were leaving, paying our ticket the cashier seemed very agitated. I asked, "everything okay?". He said, "I hate Sundays, church people can be so rude and mean. They just get out of church and are working on new sins already hu?!"
  • A friend who works for a government agency complains, "I hate it when preachers come in to sign up for retirement benefits. They don't pay into the system and then are hateful and rude about not being eligible for a big retirement pension!"
  • My aunt and uncle just had tenants move from their rental home. They left a huge pile of garbage, old appliances, a tv and other junk out on the front lawn. The man of the family told my uncle not to worry about it, that he would be back to haul it off. Did they? No they didn't. Members of my family complained... "They belong to "such and such" church, you would think being such big Christians they would keep their word!"
  • A co-worker commented to me about how some people (she didn't name names) in the office can be so two-faced, pretending to be your friend and then stabbing you in the back. And "they go to church!" she said.

As a Christian, I find these remarks painful and embarrassing! I debated whether or not to even post them because they are such a shameful witness.

Political and world events are causing folks to seek truth and peace more than ever before. It is heartbreaking to think that as they look around them at those who profess to know "the way" that they turn away disgusted. They observe and they determine that Christians are just a bunch of hypocrites!

We Christians say..."Yes, I know but we are all on a journey, growing and learning. We are not perfect; we never said we were. We are be-ing sanctified! They shouldn't judge about God based on me!"

But they do judge and when these who are in the valley of decision make their decision I wonder if we will come to know them as brothers and sisters in Christ or as our embittered persecutors.

I often find myself wondering what I can do to make a difference. I'm getting older and can't recall anything I've done to make me worthy of a crown or to hear the words.. "Well done good and faithful servant." I'm not a foreign missionary and I don't serve in any real capacity at my church.

I think I have mentioned before that I felt God had admonished me to "be faithful in the little things" instead of reaching for what we sometimes think is more important. I forget this sometimes. It's a comfort to remember it.

What is important is loving God. If we love God then we will want to please Him. What pleases Him is for sinners to be reconciled!

We are being watched by the lost. I hope we can all take this seriously to heart and become more conscientious in our daily routine lives. To use an old idiom... this is where the rubber meets the road!


Father God, forgive us for all the times we have been bad witnesses. Quicken us with your Holy Spirit to acquire a daily walk that is pleasing to you. Help us to be vessels of living water, salt and light so that the lost you seek are drawn and captured by love and your salvation. Amen!

.

12 comments:

  1. On a journey? Yes, a long one.
    Do I stumble? Of course, but I get up, repent, and go on.
    Am I concerned about my witness to the lost? Oh yes, but the verse about being faithful in the little things gives me hope.
    This has been an uplifting post, and has made my day better. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Lorrie, I understand your concern. When people say things like that to me I always respond with: "Oh, I am sorry you had a bad experience with christians, I assure you that there are many sweet ones around..." and I give 'm my most beautiful smile :)
    I like your prayer in the end, we need to be good witnesses, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okiewife, thanks for visiting and your comment.

    We all (Christians), whether we realize it or not are appointed to important matters. Being a good witness in the daily routine is probably one of the most important callings out there. Like you, I stumble, repent and go again :-)

    I am so grateful for God's grace and mercy. I want to be a good witness and am realizing it begins right where I'm standing moment by moment.

    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i makes me think that people see church goers as Christ followers.
    i suppose that could be a watzup. however,
    how can anyone really know
    which people that go to church are truly Christ believers?
    what are the perceptions and expectations of a Christ follower?
    what does God say about it?

    you bring up some good points.
    and i think that you brought them to our attention in a way of Love and respect. for me, this has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marja ~ There are many many sweet ones out there - you being one of my favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nance ~ really appreciate your valuable input!! All church goers are not necessarily Christ followers.

    I am glad my concerns did not come across in a self righteous manner. I've been greatly convicted by the incidents I shared. They have really caused me to take a serious look at my own life and Christian witness.

    Blessings - good to have you over!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of us -- Christian and non-Christian alike -- have higher expectations of Christians than we do of non-Christians. I think it's normal. And if we're going to tell people that we are Christians, then we should be held to a higher level of expectations. Who we are, what we do and how we behave is not about us. We will screw up, surely, but then we also have to own up.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Glynn! Good perspective. Much appreciated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this blog! I just found it, and plan on reading them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Spirit Way ~ love having new friends find me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true, Lorrie.

    An even scarier thought is being a true witness to our own lost family members, who know us better than anyone.

    I can't do it. He never said I could. It's His life to live. Do I believe Him beyond the cross to let Him do it?

    "Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent." John 6:28, 29

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pearl! Yes, and what we believe naturally comes through in the things we do and don't do :-) Even Paul struggled. We are being sanctified!!

    Blessing to ya!

    ReplyDelete