Monday, August 2, 2010

Silly Girl

It happens every spring. Baby Robins outgrow their small nests and fall to the ground below. It's a dangerous time for the baby and anyone maliciously or innocently coming near the innocent little life. Mama bird will squawk at and dive-bomb all who approach!

After an intense and brief period of feeding by both mom and dad, the babies are grown enough to fly away. The yard is quiet and safe again.

Usually.

This year, one of the little ones (affectionately called Robbi) couldn't fly away. She is special in that one of her wings didn't grow out long enough. Her brother (Stubby) was born with the same issue except his feather shortage affects his tail. He can fly, just not very far or high. Still, he can come and go as he pleases.

Robbi is stuck. She has never been out of our back yard. She is by herself much of the time. Strangers come to the feeders and Stubby visits occasionally but she wishes she could fly too.

She has found the highest point in the yard to stand and crane her neck trying to glimpse the other side of the fence that limits her world.

She is spoiled in her little yard. It's full of various plant life for shade and hunting. Dad (my hubby) has equipped her world with low level baths and feeders. He purposely sprinkles the yard to cool it off and inspire bugs to surface. He's trained the dog not to bother her. She's got it pretty good.

The thing is... she doesn't understand all the whys of her world. She wants out of it. She cranes for what she cannot have. If she were to get her way just once... it would be the end for her. She wouldn't make it one day. She would be unprotected with no fence around her and no provision.

Watching her today, I wondered at how much I am like little Robbi. So much of the time I overlook the abundant and marvelous blessings God has placed in my world and life. I focus on what seems to have been denied me. I ask why oh why. I want to see beyond the hedge about me.

As I think of this scenario and of God bringing it to my attention, I am comforted. I can't help but smile and feel His love for me. He is a gentle husband... and I am a silly girl sometimes.


.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Lorna!! Thanks for coming over and christening this post with your compliments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor Robbi! And poor us! We always think the grass is greener on the other side but we forget it needs mowing and it has meadow muffins! Being thankful for where we are and what we have is essential. Great post, Lorrie! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn!! So nice to see you at my place. Meadow muffins... tee hee. I like that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Lorrie, aren't we all a little silly every now and then?? At least you admit it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marja ~ May as well admit it... we're usually the last to know :-) I'm so grateful for God's patience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing what we can learn from God's creation. We just have to have eyes to see!

    Thanks Lorrie, great post as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is my first time here. Great post, Lorrie! I think we're all like Robbi, stuck in our world and wishing for the one in sight but out of our reach. Never mind that it's safe in here, we have a wanderlust that won't quit.

    There's another world just out of our reach, too. It's called Heaven and it's not dangerous. One day we will be able to fly like birds and live there for the rest of Eternity. ;)

    ~ VT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vee ~ God says his creation testifies of Him!!

    VT ~ What a treat to receive your comments, especially about looking forward to Heaven!! So glad you said that :-)

    Hi Kathleen! Yep, we are. I hope to move from being childish to child like one day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hope that someday we will all get to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so much like that, always looking beyond for something better, not giving thanks that we are so loved and cared for. Great post, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking on it a bit more... about always looking beyond for something better and that may be heaven and how we want to fly home. We all have eternity set in our hearts. But we all have our wings clipped for very good reason in this world that is groaning in sin.

    Some people search for eternal youth. We have the vampire movies, we have myths about youth elixir etc,. Yet, have we really thought about living in this world the way it is with all of its sins and how horrible it would be to live forever in this world.

    Death although it is a punishment for sin, to me...it is a gift too. I would not want to live with such pain of sin that surrounds me everyday. Have any of you really thought about it.

    I hope this doesn't sound too macabre? And I hope you all get where I am coming from. I for one don't mind having my wings clipped and to live within the parameters that God has assigned me. But I am really looking forward to my wings being healed and to soar like an eagle in His new creation when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor Robbi! At least she has a good home with such a wonderful lady as you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jesus is the best husband! Great post

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the robins that come each year to our farm... we get to know them almost as well as you do yours...
    a great post!

    ReplyDelete