Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sweet Rewards

There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment, a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always.
About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God coming in and saying to him, "Cornelius!" And when he observed him, he was afraid, and said, "What is it, lord?" So he said to him, "Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God." Acts 10:1-4


What a wonderful sentence... "Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God"

At this time Cornelius didn't know that the Messiah had come, he was going about his day as he always had. Doing good.

God saw his heart and his generosity and wanted to bless him with a wonderful surprise. He sent Peter to him who revealed Jesus to his entire household. As a consequence, they were all saved and baptized.

Can you imagine Cornelius' joy? These verses remind me that though we are not saved by works, they are sacrifices upon the alter that ascend to God.

Is my life a sweet aroma before the Lord? Is yours?



Photo 'no name' is a google re-use source

.

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Lorrie! It seems to be kind of a theme this week... we cannot do anything to earn our salvation, but we can certainly do things that please God! Thanks for pointing out that specific sentence in Cornelius's story, very encouraging my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone once suggested I write a story about Cornelius, and it's been rattling around in the back of my brain ever since, although I've yet to find the right inspiration. Love the pic on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Your prayers and your alms have come up for a memorial before God"

    Yes, what a wonderful line. Thanks for pulling it out and setting it on the table to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marja ~ It was certainly inspiring to me! Thanks for coming over :-)

    Katy ~ Oh, I wish you would write a story about him!

    S. ~ So glad you liked it...

    L.L. ~ After reading this passage I just kept thinking about that verse. I still do. Heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking that since the alms, or act of righteousness, is considered virtuous only if not done for others to admire, and which must be done in Love, then, is an act of Love.

    And i think that praying is one way to Love God. so...

    It was like Cornelius was Loving God and Loving others. His heart was in the right place.

    I was just thinking, after reading your post, that with Jesus we are saved by grace.So Acts of rightousness are not necessary for salvation. Yet, because they are not necessary for salvation, so they might be even more precious when they are done because of Love for God. Since Love of God and Love of others is a command to obey, then this i think is very important for our good. Perhaps for our growth and strength against evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nAncY, nAncY!! I am just now seeing your comment. Blogger wasn't showing any from the dashboard?!?! Such wonderful thoughts too and I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe divine intervention kept your comment for me to open today... just what I needed. A "heart thing", yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorrie, you have this knack of opening up certain passages of scripture to make people think of their own walk in Christ.

    I personally thank you for that gift. We all have different gifts and this is certainly one that you share.

    May God continue to work in you this way. I for one LOVE it.

    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  8. One question Lorrie.. where do you find these amazing images that you put up with your posts? They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww Vee, you make me teary eyed! To think that God has bestowed a gift on me that could make a difference is hard to comprehend. I am so grateful and sincerely humbled. Bless you for being such an encourager!

    I'm glad you like the photos I find. Sometimes I literally spend more time searching for photos than anything else! Most of the time I just find them through searching google images (preferences set to 're-use'. I find some on The Morgue File and occasionally I get permission from folks on Flicker.

    See ya soon (ie; no matter how you look at it we'll be in heaven before too long!)

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete