Thursday, February 4, 2010

Would God Bury You?

Okay, not everyone's favorite subject, mine either, but it came up during my morning devotional time. Burial vs cremation.

For many years it's been my preference to be cremated. I mean it's just a body right? And when I'm no longer living in it then what's the bother about spending tons of money putting it in a pretty box that's going to be covered up with dirt and never seen again!


I figured it like this...Ideally, family and friends would gather after my passing to hug each others' necks, tell stories, eat some tacos and then spread my ashes in the deep dark ferny Sierra mountains.

I had settled in my mind that it was not un-christian-like to be cremated. I wasn't worried about God needing my body one day to transact a successful resurrection. After all, martyrs have been burned at the stake and unfortunate sailors have been eatin by creatures of the sea.

I know that the Master of the universe is able to gather and restore every particle of one's physical body no matter it's final demise. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord! I was not concerned.

Then one morning as I was reading my bible I came across the passage where God has Moses up on a mountain telling him he's going to die. I've read it numerous times but when I came to the following verses I saw what I had never seen before...


So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
And He buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth Peor; but no one knows his grave to this day. Deut. 34:5-6

Did you catch it? God B U R I E D Moses. In that very instant I knew that for me, cremation was no longer my preference. God preferred burial. This is what He himself did for the body of one of his beloved children.

I still don't believe, as some do, that being cremated is some unpardonable sin. I do believe for me, that if given a choice in the matter, it would please Him more if I were to choose burial. So I have changed my mind!

I love how the Lord gives me "the elbow" every now and again...


Photo is "Graveside" by Lorrie :-)


.

6 comments:

  1. hi kiddo
    im glad your are still alive
    i have not made my plans yet
    get i better get on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi nAncY ~ I'm glad I'm still alive too! Maybe we'll be raptured and it won't matter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never took notice of that scripture - i like your train of thought - i think i will still choose cremation because of the cost factor - i just don't like the idea of paying all that money for presentation purposes - but i hope i have ALOT of time to change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know... the cost factor is a biggie! Whether YOU find that you want to change your mind or not.. I too hope you have lots of time!!! Thanks for coming over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have struggled with this question too. This issue is really big for some Christians. Some say that cremation is pagan practice.
    I have found something that you may want to read as it talks about how being buried is an important symbol of being buried as Christ was buried awaiting His resurrection.

    Cremation destroys the truth and beauty of the thought of the close connection between the resurrection of Christ and that of the believer. Cremation puts Scripture sadly out of joint. Think of the time-honoured Scripture that has been read over the graves of hundreds of thousands of God's saints. Please note particularly the “IT” repeated eight times in this precious Scripture, connecting the body sown with the body raised. There can be no resurrection unless what is committed to the Lord in death is raised literally. This is beyond human understanding, yet the believer relies on “the power of God,” and the plain teaching of Scripture.

    “IT is sown in corruption; IT is raised in incorruption; IT is sown in dishonour; IT is raised in glory; IT is sown in weakness; IT is raised in power; IT is sown a natural body; IT is raised a spiritual body.” (1 Cor. 15:42-44)

    How these verses are robbed of their beautiful meaning, if read over a coffin, about to be propelled by invisible machinery into a blazing furnace, and reduced to ashes in a couple of hours or less. Surely we do well to avoid a practice that weakens the meaning and comfort of Scripture at a time when hearts are torn with grief, and need all the comfort they can get in their hour of need.

    Just google "PAGAN CREMATION - OR CHRISTIAN BURIEL: A J POLLOCK". It's the first article that comes up.

    Interesting topic though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is some great information Vee, makes me even more certain of burial. You know, I just never thought about it too much as an important issue but since these (I include your comment in that) recent revelations about it I feel so far removed so fast from the idea of cremation! Thank you so much for taking the time to add your thoughts and resources! You bless me :-)

    ReplyDelete