Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Do You Have a Hankering?

The word for the blog carnival this merry go-round is lust.

Basic beginning - I went and looked the word up in my thesaurus. It made me giggle right off the bat when I noticed the words “hanker for”. What a funny word… hanker.

Looking up hanker, it pointed to want, crave and hunger. Nothing inherently wrong there. I guess it depends on what one is hankering for, right?

Turning my thoughts to the Bible next, these verses came to mind…

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is NOT in him. For all that is in the world - the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life - is not of the father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever. 1 John 2:15-17

Well alrighty then. These verses say that ALL that is in the world that is not of the Father stems from lust and pride. Seems it’s a little more serious than a mere hanker and not very funny at that!

Strong’s defines that word lust like this:

(G1939) a longing (especially for what is forbidden): - concupiscence, desire, lust (after).

If you’re like me at all you’re now wondering what in the world concupiscence means. This is what I found..

An ardent, usually sensuous, longing; a strong sexual desire; lust; a selfish human desire for an object, person, or experience, a desire of the lower appetite contrary to reason; the orientation, inclination or innate tendency of human beings to do evil.

That's quite a definition. The more I find out about our little word lust the more serious it becomes. I honestly don’t think I can expound on what God’s Word so plainly magnifies.

A verse for exhortation though…

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Gal 5:16

That’s what is says!


Photo is "sin" (google re-use)

.

10 comments:

  1. I think the biggest problem with lust is that it really focuses on self, a focus that becomes almost obsession-like. God wants our attention -- and our hearts -- focused on Him. Good post, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Glynn. You are so right on that! Thank you for your wonderful comment. I hope other visitors will read it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word hanker makes me think of that little jingle... "I hanker for a hunk of cheese"... but all joking aside, this is serious stuff.

    Good post, Lorrie... and yes, Glynn summed it up well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridget and S Etole, thank you both for reading and commenting...

    I'm hankering for a hunk of cheese now!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ham. Cheese is best with a slice of ham.

    See. Lust after one thing, get it, and I still want something else later...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen. Thanks for the visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Lorrie, thoughtful, as always. Lust for more can destroy a person, but also a whole nation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good post, and i like the ending verse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marja - very true. Amazing our individual lives go 'viral' to the rest of the world...

    nAncY - thanks sweetie :-)

    ReplyDelete