Monday, January 4, 2010

Beginning of The End?

I have often remarked that the 60’s were probably the beginning of the end. However, after reading about the Day of Pentecost this morning I have changed my mind.

The day of Pentecost was the day when the apostles and many others received the Holy Spirit in the upper room. When His power came upon them they began speaking in other tongues. As you might guess, a crowd quickly gathered, some being amazed and some mocking. Peter spoke to the excited crowd about what was happening and he made this reference to a prophecy spoken of by the prophet Joel.

AND IT SHALL COME TO PASS IN THE LAST DAYS, SAYS GOD, THAT I WILL POUR OUT OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL FLESH; YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS. Act. 2:17

I think in the past I’ve always focused on the prophesying, visions and dreams portion when reading this verse, totally missing the last days part.

Peter tells the crowd that this prophecy is referring to what is happening right then and there on the day of Pentecost. So that means the last days actually began on that day, way back then.

Don’t be discouraged though! In the grand scheme of God’s mercy and timing it’s not such a long time from then until now. I do believe we are mentioned in Peter’s Pentecost pronouncement…

Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." Acts 2:38-39

So now I think that even though the 60’s may not have been the beginning of the end I could still say that those of the 60’s and forward truly are the "far out" ones! Cool.


Photo is: Tie Dye Blue (google re-use)

9 comments:

  1. "don't be discouraged"

    these are the words that surfaced for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks nAncY and L.L., appreciate you coming over!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorrie! Great post, and I love your end conclusion :)
    I've always figured the last days are the last couple of thousand years (after Jesus came), since they are the same to God...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post... I reckon you are right about us being mentioned in that prophecy. Never saw that before. Isn't it great unlocking a Truth that has been revealed to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vee! My morning devotional time is in Acts right now and it's amazing to me that I don't recall much preaching from this book. I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many times have I read that passage - and that phrase has never hit me? Thanks for bringing it to light, Lorrie. Thought-provoking stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, Isn't God's word amazing! I love surprises... His word truly is new every day :-)

    ReplyDelete