Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Bible on Bones

I've recently been informed that I am getting older. Me! It's a very strange notion... a shock really. Evidently my bones are thinning. Doctors call it Osteopenia... bleh!

To stave off the dreaded prescription remedy that's been suggested, I instead, jutted my jaw, went to the natural market and added to my vitamin repertoire. Other than that, the only proactive move I can make is to exercise. Or is it?

Turning to God's word I searched the references for bones. I was pleasantly surprised to discover quite a lot on the subject. I decided to pick out a few that seemed especially relevant to my recent diagnoses and expound a bit. Here they are...

Pro 16:24 ~ Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.

The pleasant words here, according to John Gill are "the doctrines of the Gospel; such as the doctrines of God's everlasting love, eternal election, the covenant of grace, the person of Christ as God-man; of peace and reconciliation by his blood; of remission of sins through his atoning sacrifice; of justification by his righteousness; of life and salvation by his obedience, sufferings, and death; all the doctrines of grace, which show that salvation in all its parts is owing entirely to the free grace of God; these are all pleasant to the ear of him that knows the joyful sound, and to the taste of everyone that has tasted that the Lord is gracious."

*

Pro 3:7-8 ~ Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.

Don't be a know it all...conceited and full of pride. Be humble and obedient to the Lord.

*

Psa 32:3 ~ When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long.

If we do not acknowledge and repent of our sins they are ours to keep. Repent of them quickly so God can cast them into the sea of forgiveness!

*

Pro 14:30 ~ A sound heart is life to the body, But envy is rottenness to the bones.

Again, I must defer to John Gill's commentary of the verse, it is quite enlightening. He says..."A man (mankind) that envies the happiness and prosperity of others,... this preys upon his own spirits, and not only wastes his flesh, but weakens and consumes the stronger parts of his body, the bones; it is as a "moth" within him, as the Arabic version: the Targum is - "as rottenness in wood, so is envy in the bones;''

*

Pro 17:22 ~ A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.

Looking at the root in Strongs of "Broken Spirit", it seems to be referring to vain anger and worry. Be joyful in the Lord!


So, it seems there are spiritual options for me to consider as well...hmm?


  • Meditate on God's Word.
  • Kick pride to the curb!
  • Be quick to repent.
  • Don't be envious.
  • Be joyful.

Thank you Father for your marvelous Word!


It seems especially apropos to tie up my study with the following verse - a worthy meditation....

Eph 5:30 ~ For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones.



Photo from the morguefile.

Disclaimer: This general information/opinion is not intended to diagnose any medical condition or to replace your healthcare professional so please, consult with them if you are having health issues.



.

8 comments:

  1. Your blog will not only give strength to those with similar symptoms, but to those of us that need to strengthen our spiritual back bone as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi honey (Warren), thanks for taking a look-see :-) I appreciate your comments very much. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! I would never have thought of going to scripture about aging bones. I reckon I have that... my hips hurt when I sit cross legged on the floor, and I can't sit on my knees on the floor either.

    I do know that peri-menopause can cuase all sorts of aches and pains. Gotta love that change of life. I wonder if there is any scripture regarding a womans midlife??


    Thanks for this post, very enlightening :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. livingjourney ~ Thanks for coming over. It's very interesting to me that the Bible has so many layers and considerations for all aspects of life. Osteoporosis runs in my family.. I sure want to avoid it if at all possible. Of course, the words I found about bones can certainly apply to all aspects of our life.. ah, if I could just be as a child like Jesus says to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi nAncY!!! It blesses me when you come over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Lorrie, Proverbs 3:7-8 is my health recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete