Monday, October 19, 2009

Hypocritical Noise

Take away from Me the noise of your songs, For I will not hear the melody of your stringed instruments. Amos 5:23

Dr. John Gill says that "during the time of Amos, the ten tribes, very probably, imitated the temple music at Jerusalem, both vocal and instrumental, and had their songs and hymns of praise, which they sung to certain tunes; but the music of these is called a noise, being very disagreeable to the Lord, as coming from such carnal and wicked persons; and therefore He desires it might cease, be took away, and He be no more troubled with it."

The people were living carnal lives and wouldn't completely turn back to the Lord. They wanted their idols, their unholy lifestyles and God too. It doesn't work that way!

This sounds so familiar. Today, a lot of people dress up and play church on Sundays but outside of that their lives are barely different than those who don't... sometimes worse. The greater shame is that churches are catering to these folks with "feel good" sermons that rarely mention the consequences of sin.

In many cases these churches are so politically correct that those living outwardly abominable lifestyles are applauded and promoted to positions of leadership. The word of God isn't preached except when misconstrued or it's convenient for accommodating the carnality of mere motivational speeches to luke warm or apostate congregations.

How utterly disgraceful and hurtful to God! Is it any wonder that He isn't interested in hearing their songs and instruments. Just a bunch of noise! The following verses come to mind.

Rev. 3:16 says - So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

John 4:23 says - But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.


Lord, I want to be a TRUE worshiper! You are worthy. Put in me a clean heart, pleasing in your sight and to your ear. I love you.


Photo is "noise" (google re-use)



8 comments:

  1. Lorrie!!! I cannot believe you used that scripture... I was reading the book of Amos this weekend (the Holy Spirit must have given us the same unction!!) and I was absolutely struck by the words in verse 21 "I cannot stand your assemblies" and when I read on I came to the verse you use (away with the noise of your songs), it touched me deeply, because sometimes I feel we make noise as an outward facade, in the hope God will not see our sin. Wow, what a timely post...
    Thanks for being obedient Lorrie in posting your thoughts, it is a clear warning and a wake up call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad to note that we haven't learnt from the Jews and how they turned away from God. Judgement came to them and judgement will come to the house of God too!

    1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come for judgment to begin at the house of God: and if it begin first at us, what shall be the end of them that obey not the gospel of God?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marja!! Don't you just love it when that happens. Praise the Lord \o/. It is such a blessing to me to find that another 'family member' is hearing the same message. Not a passage mentioned very often either :-) Neat, neat, neato!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vee - you are right, very sad indeed. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we really could/would learn from our history! But... we don't! There is nothing new under the sun and the heart of man(kind)is wicked.

    God is so merciful and longsuffering...yet, The Day of The Lord shall surely come!!

    Blessings my friend. One day this will all be history too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off topic... I loved your comment to nAncY at Seedlings. Very amusing.

    As to the topic at hand... I don't know that I'll ever be completely without hypocrisy. Not that I settle for it... but it makes me more thankful for God's grace and his patient working with me to change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, to come before the Lord without a pharisaical mask of piety, to sing His praises from a sincere heart of worship! Great post, my sweet friend! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete