Thursday, September 24, 2009

He Restores

The Gentiles shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity; because they were unfaithful to Me, therefore I hid My face from them. I gave them into the hand of their enemies, and they all fell by the sword. According to their uncleanness and according to their transgressions I have dealt with them, and hidden My face from them. Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Now I will bring back the captives of Jacob, and have mercy on the whole house of Israel; and I will be jealous for My holy name. Ezek 39:23

The picture in my mind of God hiding His face from his children is so heartbreaking. Like a loving parent who had no choice but to punish... He grieves. But, His love is not diminished.
It is with great passion that He restores His own to a right relationship with Him.

I am so glad that Israel is not forgotten. No one has taken her place as the apple of God's eye. I love that! This wonderful example of God's great love is a comfort. I too have gone astray. I too have caused God to hide His face from me. I am so grateful for His grace and mercy.

Lord, help me live with a grateful heart and to please you in all that I think, say and do. Thank you for restoration!


Photo is: Golden Jerusalem (google re-use)


13 comments:

  1. Thank you Lorrie, God's love for Israel is such an inspiration for us today! You have expressed it very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marja! Hope this post didn't feel too short. Everytime I visit your blog I just love how wonderfully you express yourself in such a small space! I really admire that and am trying to do follow suit. We'll see how well I do.. it's hard sometimes to keep it down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lorrie,
    thank you for this wonderful reminder of God's Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi nAncY - so good to hear from ya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To live with a grateful heart... yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lord, thank you for your love. May we learn to love others and see them as apples of your eyes!

    Lorrie, the format works for you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sojourner. That is a good prayer :-) Glad you approve of the format... you are a big inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before I even got to your comments on the passage, the thought that was running through my head was The saddest part of this whole passage is God turning away His face... Doesn't get much worse than that. Praise Him for being a God of second chances!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie - very heartbreaking! Thanks for coming over :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. this aspect of God: that He is able to keep loving while still disciplining is the very aspect of Him that keeps me pursuing Him. it means that i am safe. always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Claire - what a wonderful observation. I love that safety :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. One extra thing that I would like to point out is that Israel is not forgotten because of God's Holy name!

    Eze 36:21 But I had concern for my holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations to which they came.
    Eze 36:22 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, Thus says the Lord GOD: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came.
    Eze 36:23 And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them. And the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Lord GOD, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes.
    Eze 36:24 I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries and bring you into your own land.

    He is faithful to His Word!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vee - thanks so much for bringing that fact to the forefront. Yes, He is faithful to his Word and the reputation of His holy name. I am so glad!!! I can trust Him because of these things... In the beginning was the Word!
    Thanks for coming over :-)

    ReplyDelete