Thursday, July 23, 2009

Simply Radical!

For most of my Christian life I have thought in terms of right and wrong. The internal gavel of my heart could easily strike a verdict on issues that were black and white. Thanks to fabulous home training as a child my conscience guided me fairly well through the gray areas too.

Recently though, I've been enlightened to a new and radical concept that is transforming my spiritual walk. It's not complicated. You can be transformed too if you have a desire to please God.

You did get that didn't you? It's one of those "can't see the forest for the trees" things. Simply…please God!

Wanting to please Him has become a wonderful living place within my spirit that overrules the soul (mind, will, emotions). I have found that being a right/wrong person allowed room in my mind for rationalization and compromise. In contrast, a desire to please Him is intimate and sure; which in turn, for me, is motivation for greater obedience too.

As I actively seek to please Him I quickly discover a constant companion in the Holy Spirit who is discernibly different than mere conscience. I can live in an abiding, communicating relationship with the master of the universe!


By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, "AND WAS NOT FOUND, BECAUSE GOD HAD TAKEN HIM"; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. Hebrews 11:5


Photo is "revelation" (google re-use)


9 comments:

  1. i think it might please Him to want to please Him. i like that this brings one into the ongonig relating...relationship with God...that is such a gift to us.

    i was thinking this morning of how i was trying to speak with my daughter yesterday and her eyes kept going from me to the television...it gave me an illustration of myself and God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is good - your illustration! That is so much like us! I think it pleases Him a great deal when we want to please Him.. He knows our hearts :-) Thanks for coming over..

    ReplyDelete
  3. seems very simple doesn't it - only to please Him - but it is hard to do if we believe we must please him and know that often we do not - Yet, as Nancy said the simple desire to please Him pleases Him......

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely hurts us more to displease Him when we are in close relationship with Him. Still, he knows us and loves us. He is much more merciful to us than we are to ourselves...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a thought provoking post. And the illustration that Nancy made is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to live that way on a daily basis, I want to make Him happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I don't always please Him but I sure want to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been one of those black and white people myself. But the problem is that *my* paradigm of black and white is necessarily flawed, which in turn means a radical stand can often lead me into error. I've learned to keep my mind wide open to the leading of the Holy Spirit... because the colors in which He views things are far more vivid than my own tawdry views can ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your input K.M. It's my daily prayer that I not be deceived - which we easily are. I know that the more I abide with Him, the chances of that are lessened. Still, we do look through the glass darkly. I'm thankful for His grace and mercy!!

    ReplyDelete