Sunday, July 12, 2009

Casting Judgment

There’s a whole lotta judging going on… uh hu! I think this is one of the biggest turn offs for folks who are fed up with Christians. Non-believers are probably fed up with it too!

One might say, “Well that’s just because they’ve hardened their hearts to the truth." And I would say that that’s a perfect example of the type of judging I’m talking about. How do we know the condition of another person’s heart? Half the time we don’t know the condition of our own hearts!

Yes, there is right and wrong. I’m not reaching for a Gnostic soapbox here. The Bible is full of absolutes but the divine law is to love God with our whole heart, mind and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. It’s not our business to judge the thoughts and intents of a person’s heart. We can’t anyway. There is no way we are capable of rightly doing this. We’ve all done it but in doing so we literally judge ourselves.

Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.
Romans 2:1

The law isn’t very merciful. Love is. Love sees the green or even sour fruit in another’s life and loves even more. Casting (to throw upon) judgment is critical, condemning, hurtful and dangerously proud.

Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold, the Judge is standing at the door!
James 5:9

And what about those non-believers out there?

By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
John 13:35

Love, love, love…



The photo is "Arms Crossed" by Jim Baker aka Forrest Runner

5 comments:

  1. It seems so easy Lorrie, but yet... Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marja I know what you are saying. I know there are many things we are to discern and even judge. It seems there are many more things we judge that we are not suppose to though. I've come to know of several sweet folks lately that have been deeply hurt by rash and false judgments. This just shouldn't be! It's so heartbreaking to their hurt. Of course, I know that you know all this already :-) Thanks so much for coming over! Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I always remind myself that the measure I use, God will use to measure me. It will come back, somehow! Sometimes I purposely go around trying not to judge people by their appearance for example, that is the hardest thing! We're learning though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marja - That's good! I need to remember that too. I am a huge work in process and continually being disciplined! I guess He loves me :-) Great conversation - thanks for the rally!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good words for thought here. I'm working on this and have learned that all of us have been shaped by the context of our lives and much of who we are has come from the meanness that has been done to us in the past. Love, Love, Love can make a difference the future of this world.

    ReplyDelete