Friday, March 27, 2009

The Wishy-Washy King

As I read through the Old Testament it stands out that it was always noted whether a king did good or evil in the sight of the LORD*. More times than not they were doing evil. Idol worship, sorcery and offering up their children to demons were just some of their despicable practices. It all just makes me wonder why.

The life of King Rehoboam gave me a clue.

Now it came to pass, when Rehoboam had established the kingdom and had strengthened himself, that he forsook the law of the LORD, and all Israel along with him. 2 Chron 12:1

He established a secure kingdom by preferring the advice of his friends over that of the elders (probably his first mistake!). He appointed priests for the high places**, demons and calf idols while forbidding the Levites to serve as priests in the house of the LORD. And, he was always at war with somebody!

One can't forsake something that isn't known. He knew the law of the LORD but his heart wasn't in it. He was a wishy-washy king!

And he did evil, BECAUSE he did not prepare his heart to seek the LORD. 2 Chron 12:14

Matthew Henry comments that Rehoboam "never quite cast off God; and yet in this he did evil, that he prepared not, he engaged not, his heart to seek the LORD."

He didn't pray or seek wisdom. He didn't consult the word for direction. He just shrugged away the things of the LORD. What a tragedy for him and all of Israel.

Inevitably, because of their sin, God rose up a foreign king to come against Israel, to destroy them. As human nature would have it... they quickly humbled themselves and returned enough to the LORD for Him to grant them some deliverance. But not all...

Nevertheless they will be his servants, that they may distinguish My service from the service of the kingdoms of nations. 2 Chron 12:8

Because the LORD is the same today as He was then I'm bound to ask myself these questions:

When comfortably 'established' in my own little kingdom do I forsake the LORD?
Do I prefer the advise of friends over the council of the LORD?
Do I compromise the laws of the LORD in the culture wars of my time?
Am I sorrowful about my sin only when it becomes consequential?
Do I love the LORD with all my heart, soul, mind and strength?

One last thing... I may not take a whole nation with me as a result of my actions but I do influence those around me. We all do. There is no question about that!



* LORD = written with all caps refers to Yahweh himself.
** high places = sanctuaries of idolatrous worship.



10 comments:

  1. This is a great post. It's often said in scripture that the key to remaining at God's side lies in the heart rather than anything we physically do. Unfortunately, the heart often gives way to the head. We THINK we're doing right, and then we THINK things are okay, and then we THINK it's okay mostly because of what we've done, and then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Billy ~ You are so right! As the scripture says... Trust in the Lord with all our HEART, lean NOT on our own understanding!
    Thank you for posting your insight.. very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, sweetie! I agree with Billy...this is a great post. I love digging into the Old Testament and finding examples for today's living. It's all there for a reason. Great ending questions also. So good for contemplating. Thanks for your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good questions for me to ask myself as well.

    what i have found recently in some posts is that faith is catching.

    one person's faith can lift up another person's faith...and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn!! Thanks for coming over and contributing with your comments. I always cherish your input. Big blessings to you.


    nAncY ~ It's wonderful to be in 'the family' isn't it :-) Luv you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... he forsook the law of the lord... I believe that is our problem today too Lorrie, we have made our own laws, to fit our time and culture... yeah right :)
    great post Lorrie, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorrie, great post. I have just in the past week or so experienced God telling me that even though I know a fair amount about him and his word that I need to continue to seek him through prayer and through scripture.

    I can't put into words exactly what he told me but it resonates well with what I learned here about King Rehoboam; I know God but I don't always plan my steps in line with his.

    Thanks again. God is using these words in my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marja ~ well we know best right? Not! Good to have your comments, thanks!!


    Janelle ~ Sometimes it seems that we are toddlers and God is out in front of us with arms extended saying.."come on, another step, you can do it!"
    Great to have you come over and a wonderful blessing to me to know that others are 'hearing' the same word that I am :-)
    He wants to gather us in closer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What struck me about the verse is that he strengthened himself! We are to have strength in the Lord.

    The Youngs Literal Version it translates this way...

    2Ch 12:1 And it cometh to pass, at the establishing of the kingdom of Rehoboam, and at his strengthening himself, he hath forsaken the law of Jehovah, and all Israel with him.


    and at his strengthening himself, he hath forsaken the law of Jehovah.

    This is a lesson for all of us and our walk with the Lord. A daily lesson if the truth be told!

    Thanks for sharing this Lorrie. A timely reminder for me and hopefully others who swing by this post!

    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vee ~ Great point, great point! I appreciate your input so much... a wonderful addendum to this post. Thank you. Big ♥ to you.

    ReplyDelete