Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spontaneous Grace

One of the gals I work with earned a 2-year detail in another office in a big city. It’s a great opportunity for her to advance her career. We all know she is sure to move onward from there. Since she probably won’t be coming back to our office we decided to throw her a little send-off party at a local restaurant.

This isn’t about the party. It’s about what happened as I was leaving. I got up, said goodbyes to those on my side of the table, walked around to the other side, set my purse down on the floor, hugged the guest of honor and then turned to go.

As I picked up my purse the gal sitting next to it said, “Sorry Lorrie, I dropped a bit of fish in your purse!” I laughed and said, “Oh boy, I hope not, I’m allergic to fish!” (I have an anaphylactic reaction).


Her face went pale and she grabbed my purse and started taking everything out as she hunted for this bit of fish. I tried and tried to reassure her that it was okay, not to worry about it, but she wouldn’t have any of it. She was horrified and probably embarrassed too.

Why in the world didn’t I just chuckle it off and not mention my allergy when she told me what happened? That would have been the graceful thing to do. My response was one of those things that just falls out of the mouth on it’s own… and is instantly regretted.

The incident was innocent enough but it caused me to wish that grace had been spontaneous on my part. My 2009 resolution was to forget myself. The more I work on it, the more I notice that I still automatically think of myself first. Bummer!


I look forward to the day when I realize, after some little something happens that I truly, and spontaneously responded with grace. But, then again, when that day comes will I even know it… if I truly have forgotten myself?

But as you abound in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all diligence, and in your love for us—see that you abound in this grace also. 2 Cor 8:7



GRACE; graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude): - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy). Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries



I love the 'Island' graphic I found at DryIcons. It's full of biblical and natural symbolism that could be applied to this post.




6 comments:

  1. i know that i am terrible at social things. i think that what you have said may help me, by putting my focus away from my self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, need to work on this. That you realized what you did (however small it was) and felt regret shows that you'll get there. More than I can say for myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nAncY ~ I can't imagine you being terrible at anything! You're a treasure my friend :-)


    Billy ~ Not sure that I will ever "get there" but I'm trying! I think we all have the same things in common, especially if we are children of God... Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi Butler ~ Thank you for coming over and leaving a comment. I lost it somehow :-( I really hate that because now I can't visit your place! Blessings sent to you anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i need to work in this area as well - i'm always opening my mouth first and before i know what has happened words have tumbled out that i cannot hope to retrieve - did your firend ever find the bit of fish?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha ~ yes, Sojourner she did find it. It was about the size of your pinky fingernail! When I saw her at work Monday she didn't seem to remember a thing about it. The lesson was obviously all mine :-D

    ReplyDelete