Sunday, March 8, 2009

Labor of Love

One of the greatest gifts God has given me is the big wonderful family that I have. My grandmother was born in Indian Territory (called Oklahoma now). She's a natural born storyteller and a wonderful cook. Both of these abilities have created memories that each family member cherishes. Over the years there have been multiple attempts to write things down, to tape record her stories... to somehow compile the treasure.

It finally dawned on me one day that I could use blog space for a website to transform this dream into reality. And so it began, a labor of love. So far, I've been working on her recipes and scanned images of handwritten scriptures.

Working with the scanned images can be so wearisome. It's very intensive. Scanning in the page from a little notebook, transferring it to a photo program, cropping, enhancing, erasing, flipping, uploading, editing, formatting, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Exhausting!

This project causes me to contemplate what a motivator love is. I don't consider quitting when I feel weary. I don't get careless and sloppy. No, I have a vision and a passion for the goal.

I wonder if the same goes for the things God has appointed me to do. Am I motivated by my love for Him to press onward every day in the things he has for me to accomplish? Does that love win out when my flesh whines over the tedious task at hand? Do I give it my utmost? I think the following verse provides an answer:

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. I John 5:3

There is no burden when motivated by love.



Picture, Love Flowers by Dry Icons


14 comments:

  1. Very well put, Lorrie, and such a kind, gentle reminder... thank you.

    This... "Am I motivated by my love for Him to press onward every day in the things he has for me to accomplish? Does that love win out when my flesh whines over the tedious task at hand? Do I give it my utmost?"

    ... is definitely something to ponder in the mundane of my everyday. Your words bless, thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katrina! God loves us so much. When working on this project over the weekend I could almost feel God push on my shoulder with his fingertips and then smile, letting me know of His presence and His desire to be loved by me with a whole heart.
    Blessing to you! Thanks for coming over :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice comparison - my we all strive toward such a labor of love for Him

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sojourner and Billy - thanks you two! Appreciate you coming over :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i appreciate this reminder of the power of the Love of God in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nAncY, thanks tons :-D I need constant reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that last statement as well; I suppose it's why Jesus journeyed from the Garden of Gathsemane to the cross.

    What a great post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janelle, what you said... about the garden. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Lorrie! What an awesome idea! And so touching. I can't wait to read some of those stories. Grandmothers are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn, you're so sweet! You can see the beginnings of it via my profile. Mama's Apron Strings. It has a long way to go! No stories yet :-D
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love a great motivator. Yes, oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lorrie, what a great idea. I have been bugging my father to make such a site for my mother... but maybe I must be the one to start it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. L.L., It's amazing, the energy of Love.

    Marja, Yep, you or dad need to do it! My grandmother thinks it's the most fabulous thing to have her own web-site :-D

    ReplyDelete