Sunday, March 1, 2009

Give Hope

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; 1 Peter 3:15

Until recently, when I read the above verse, I felt a certain amount of anxiety. I have never been one who could recall Bible passages and expound on them eloquently when confronted by those opposed to the truth. I've never been capable of a snappy retort in the natural, much less in spiritual matters!

I love the word of God but to always be ready to give a defense? It's quite intimidating to think that I could muster any level of apologetics worthy enough to be convincing.

Here is the definition for Christian apologetics: It is a field of Christian theology that aims to present a rational basis for the Christian faith, defend the faith against objections, and expose the perceived flaws of other world views.

What if I were to say something wrong and lead someone astray? Terrifying!

The problem with all this is that I never got past the legal sounding "give a defense" part of the verse. I read that much and my mind clouded over with inadequacies.

The rest of the verse is simply saying that to everyone who asks us why we have the hope we do... to tell them! Basically, to give them our testimony. The man who was healed of blindness was no theologian. He just told what he knew. When questioned by the Pharisees he said..."One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see" (John 9:25).

I don't have to have all the answers. I don't have to wow anyone with my Christian-speak. I only have to be ready and willing to share my testimony; to give the marvelous Hope I have in Jesus to others.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
1 Peter 1:3-5



10 comments:

  1. Yay, Lorrie! Absolutely! I totally agree with you. We don't have to have all the answers. Our lives are the loudest sermon another will hear so we need to live well, to glorify the Lord in all we say and do. Great post, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think - simplistic and non-threatening! Much different than the legalistic "defense" approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm much like you. Giving a defense of my faith is easy enough when I'm typing away on my computer, but when I'm face to face with someone I tend to get a little tongue-tied. Thank you for the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, nAncY, soujourner and Billy: I'm so glad you all liked this post. Isn't it funny that we mortals can read something time and time again and then one day.. ding, ding, ding! It is so easy to complicate the simple gospel message.
    I appreciate your comments ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started reading this post, I was thinking, it's your testimony!

    Then when you went on a bit further and wrote...

    The rest of the verse is simply saying that to everyone who asks us why we have the hope we do... to tell them! Basically, to give them our testimony. The man who was healed of blindness was no theologian. He just told what he knew. When questioned by the Pharisees he said..."One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see" (John 9:25).

    I jumped up for joy!

    Once I was giving a defence of Christianity quoting many bible verses to this guy. Then he said don't use the bible to prove your faith. Then I said ok.. then I gave him my testimony, he couldn't argue against that!

    Jesus became real to me that day I gave my life over to Him.

    What a wonderful post Lorrie.

    A reminder of where we have all come from and how we are at rest in Him.

    Thanks.

    Vee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vee! You bless me with your comments. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN Lorrie, nothing beats a testimony!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new here! What a great blog! Hope you are having a great weekend! ♥ Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shauna, thanks so much for coming over and for leaving your wonderful comment. Hope you are having a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete