Saturday, January 31, 2009

True Worshipers

The arena is filled to capacity and we're ready for sport! Loaded with a combustible enthusiasm, we display all manner of loyal expression for our team. We're not a bit bashful about it.

It's a conundrum to me that in the arena we yell, jump up and down and even hug the stranger next to us without inhibition, but when it comes to worshiping the one true God we often turn into blocks of wood! I wonder why.

This is not about me telling you what proper worship is. I am not suggesting we turn praise and worship time into a sporting event either.

I'm thinking of those times we feel like saying "amen" or "Hallelujah" and we don't. Or, those times we want to raise our hands up high but we barely lift one hand from our lap... off to the side. It's these promptings from the Holy Spirit, which we deny expression of that I am referring to. We, the slaves of righteousness shushing the Holy Spirit!

I took my wonder and went to the streets of Twitter for an opinion on the reason for our shyness. This response from Greenejc
seemed to go right to the heart of the matter.

"Fear of man...or, namely, fear of man withdrawing his approval due to outrageous behavior...lifting hands, dancing, *gasp*"

None of us are going to be inspired of God to do anything inappropriate. Let us cast this fear away from us like a garment on fire! We know that our God alone is worthy of all praise and worship. He seeks it from us.

But the hour is coming and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. John 4:23

When reading through the Psalms it's not hard to understand how God knew and declared that David was a man after His own heart. He loved Him, he worshiped Him, wrote beautiful poetry and songs to Him.

Praise the LORD!
Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty firmament!

Praise Him for His mighty acts;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!

Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
Praise Him with the lute and harp!

Praise Him with the timbrel and dance;
Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!

Praise Him with loud cymbals:
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD!

Psalm 150


And all His people said.... Hallelujah! \o/



Lord, we are all different and you speak to us individually. Help us each, in our own ways to respond to the inspiration of expression you put within us. We love being nudged by you for praise and worship. You are worthy! We are grateful.


Photograph, Worship generously provided by: JesusFreak_129



14 comments:

  1. That's awesome. It seems everyone is inspired to write about worship today.

    I love how you approached it with such humility and grace. Thanks. I feel the need to go re-write my post now because it's really lame in comparison. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pakelekia, everyone is inspired to write about worship lately? I didn't know that! It makes me feel good to know that I am hearing what God is speaking to the church about :-)

    Now...I'm coming right over to your place to see what you have written. I really like your writings - I'm sure it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this reminder about worshipping God, Lorrie! I am shy about everything, not just that, but in my heart and mind, I'm saying "Thank you Lord, I love you" even if I don't express it so well outwardly. You express it so beautifully in your writing. Hopefully mine comes through in my poetry! Thank you for your inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we would be really put-off to learn about what God believes is "appropriate" in praising His name. David certainly made a nice fool of himself when he was bringing up the Ark to Jerusalem....enough to embarrass his wife pretty well.

    Of course, the moral of the story is that he danced with all his might before the Ark of the Lord, which represents the presence of God. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan, you are so right! We do not have to worry about doing anything inappropriate if we are hearing from God. I love that passage about David that you mention...'he danced with all his might'.. love it!
    Thank you for commenting and for letting me use your Twitter quote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, God knows our heart! Your poetry is a wonderful work of worship :-)

    Janelle, You left me the best comment I have ever received. I could just cry that I lost it somehow :-( I'm glad that you liked this post and I am so blessed by what you said. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, sweet friend! Just got a chance to read this. it's a great post! Worship is one of my favorite topics. I know I've been guilty in the past, because of my personality, upbringing, and type of church, of being embarrassed to raise my hands. Over the years, as I grew from head knowledge of salvation to heart knowledge of a personal relationship with the Lord, I learned to not give a hoot what others thought. It's my heart worshipping my Saviour and, if someone doesn't like the way I do that, then it's their problem, not mine. However, I think it's really more about getting old! LOL!

    Blssings and keep dancing! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn!! So glad to hear from you. I'll be glad when you're Kentucky home is thawed out from that terrible ice storm! Miss you bunches.
    My nature is very shy when it comes to worship. I've been in all kinds of churches though so I've had a lot of exposure to different forms of expression. I would never want to make anyone feel that they should worship a certain way..only that they wouldn't deny God's leading. I know it wouldn't hurt me to be a little more expressive :-)

    Big (gentle) hugs Lynn...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i was thinkin just the other day about david and his love for music, having people playing harps and flutes all the time. if he was around now, i bet ya he would be forming a band and putting it on youtube and wearing an ipod around all the time.

    and "you" are super dooper good...i am just a beginner with this writing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nancy! Neat to put old testament folks in current time. I bet you are right about David :-) Won't it be good to meet them all one day?!
    YOU are super-dooper!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the reasons why I think that it is important to show our children in our home that praise and worship is a way of life. If they become comfortable in the home and in the church at an early age, then it is a way of life. I just love seeing children and youth praise God. They seem to get something that many adults miss.

    with blessings,

    Minister Mamie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minister Mamie, welcome! Thanks for commenting. You are so right... raise them up in the ways they should go!!

    Blessings back at you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lorrie, great post, as always.
    I grew up in a traditional church, that was all I knew. After my rebirth I joined a 'different kind of church'. When I came to America we started going to a mainly black (can I say that?) church and oh boy, that took me out of my comfort zone... I was shocked at their worship to say the least. But I changed, and I learned and now... I am probably the loudest person in there, haha! I have yelled and screamed at soccer games, I have danced in every club you can think of and NOW I can finally do it for HIM and I am not ashamed to do it! I believe there is healing in abundant worship!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marja, I love that... healing in abundant worship! You've given me more to think about!! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete