Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiness

But as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY." 1 Peter 1:15,16

I don't know about you but that sounds very intimidating to me. How in the world am I suppose to be holy? Human holiness. Isn't that an oxymoron?

When I think of being holy, my mind first goes to appearance. You know, the flowing robes, crowns and jeweled breastplates. Oh, and anyone who is holy must have a halo, beautiful feet and tons and tons of wisdom.

Somehow, I don't think my impression of human holiness is very accurate. So what does it mean?

I went to my Strong's to investigate. In the noted verses the word "holy" means: sacred, saint, properly clean, innocent, modest, perfect, chaste, clean and pure.

Still sounds pretty unattainable to me!

I moved on to my Barnes' Commentary. I found that as professed people of God we ought to be like our God. Barnes says that "It is a great truth, that people everywhere will imitate the god whom they worship, they will form their character in accordance with his. They will regard what he does as right. They will attempt to rise no higher in virtue than the god whom they adore. The God of the Christian's worship is perfectly holy; therefore, the character of His worshipers should also be holy. So the worship of Yahweh molds the character of His people into His image, and they become like Him."

So it is part of the sanctification process. It is be-coming like Him. Like Jesus.


Is our character a reflection of His holiness? Do others see Him in our conduct?

Even though God is doing the work in us, we still have a responsibility. We must make up our minds to surrender and seek after Him. Obey Him. We must love Him will all our heart, soul, strength and mind. Holiness will then be a (super) natural consequence.



For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works. Titus 2:11-14



Note: There is also another strange root meaning of this word "holy": (an awful thing) A festival, or a victim therefore: - (solemn) feast (day), sacrifice. I see it plain as day... Jesus was our sacrifice. Satan and his minions had a feast and a festival thinking his death would be the end of Him and us. Wrong! Jesus rose again. Hallelujah!


10 comments:

  1. interesting thoughts :-)

    love to you, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! My pastor preached on this topic last Sunday and I couldn't get it out of my head.
    It makes me have the "happy heart" when I see a comment from ya ;-) Thank you.

    Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lorrie, I loved this. This is one of my soapboxes. In our society today, we don't give holiness enough thought. The church lives like the world instead of the One Who saved us from the world. Excellent post, my sweet friend! Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn, excellent points! Thank you so much for taking the time to add them ~ it's just what this post needed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to this post Lorrie! Holiness should not scare us, it is a challenge and it makes the Christian life exciting! Well, that's how I see it :) I want to become like my Master (Matt. 10:25)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post.. Holiness also means being separate from this world. If we enjoy as the world enjoys how can we be Holy?.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true, so true! Thank you for saying so Ben :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lorri,
    I'm very blessed by your website.
    In Christ, Lisa

    www.cubbiegram.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, Your comment blesses me :-) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete