Thursday, December 4, 2008

It's all good

There is so much of the Bible we miss if we don't determine to read it straight through, beginning to end. For instance, my women's study group is in Romans, my pastor's sermons are currently from 1 Peter and my devotional time hits a verse at random. See what I mean? I decided to go for it.

I was enjoying my read in Exodus 25 when suddenly the word turned very dry (maybe because they were in the dessert... ha!). God was getting very specific with Moses about the details of how He wanted the tabernacle furnishings. As I read, my eyes were slowly filling up with lead and at one point my forehead came dangerously close to crashing right onto the page.

Then I heard myself..."Maybe I'll just skip this part. I"m just scanning it anyway because I can't focus on the rings, the knobs, the pitcher, the bowls, the blue, the scarlet, the purple, and the poles!"

Right on queue, that little voice within elbowed me and said:

"You know you can't really say that you've read the Bible beginning to end if you skip parts of it".

And as usual, the little voice was right. So I went back to the top and started over. In short time I came to the end of the chapter where it was introducing the details of how to construct the lampstand. It was made of pure gold and was very ornamental with its branches and almond blossoms. The wick trimmers and trays that went with it were specifically ornate as well. Then I came to the very last verse in the chapter:

"And see to it that you make them according to the pattern that was shown you on the mountain".

For some reason I have always thought the entire mountain top agenda consisted of discussing and writing into stone the 10 commandments. If I had stopped and thought about it I would've known that a 40 day meeting would probably go into quite a bit more than that.

There are treasures of spiritual significance and meaning in every single detail of God's instruction regarding the furnishings and articles. However, in this particular reading I was not digging deep into a study. I was just reading for the enjoyment of it.

When I read that last verse I pictured God showing Moses all the beautifully patterned things He wanted to have His place furnished with. I sensed anticipation and joy in the preparation. He had saved them from severe bondage in Egypt and brought them to Himself. He was in love with them and He looked forward to dwelling among them. He wanted everything just so.

Then I thought of the coming verses and how God's heart was going to be broken; how when Moses came down that mountain he was going to find those fools partying around some dumb golden calf! How could they do it? How could they hurt God like that?

I knew the answer. They, like me were blind selfish sinners. I closed the Bible and hugged it close; so thankful for God's mercy and grace; so grateful that He loved me and sent His only son Jesus to save me from cruel bondage, and so in awe that he resides within me today.

That last verse was like a reward for reading the entire chapter. I wonder what awaits me in the book of Numbers - all those genealogies! I truly look forward to it.



All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16,17



Are you a good person according to God's standards? If so, are you good enough to go to Heaven? Take this test.

If you want to be saved then follow the Roman's Road.





6 comments:

  1. i started to do this and gave up. this inspires me to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nancy, your words are an encouragement to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorrie, thanks so much for this post, I've been there, done that and yes, I keep going back, even to those 'boring' parts and it works every time: I find a treasure, something I never noticed before and it makes me think all over again. You are a gifted writer and I truly enjoy your posts. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marja, you are always such an encouragement to me. Thank you for your generous comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i read your entire post from beginning to end without skipping any of it....it too was a blessing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sojourner, Wow! What a blessing for you to come over and take the time that you did! A very special treat for me :-) Thank you...

    ReplyDelete