Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I'm in my way!

With the New Year upon us it's tradition to make resolutions about what we might do differently. Of course, as Christians we know that each and every moment is an opportunity to start fresh. We don't need to wait for a set time or place; we don't need to take our turn in the confessional. Jesus alone is our advocate and He is always making intercession for us. I am so grateful for this because I need to start fresh several times a day!

Nevertheless, I've been inspired to take a little look-see at how I might improve in the coming year. So, after much consideration I've narrowed my task down from a gazillion or more options to just one issue.

1. To forget about myself.

Honestly, I am so tired of always being in the way! If I wasn't always my first consideration then it wouldn't be my propensity to complain, to be offended, to resent, to worry, to covet, to judge, to make exception, to, to, to... and the list goes on. Yuk!

I know I can't accomplish any measure of this with mere determination. I've tried. I have to quit looking at my cross and actually take it up. I have to put myself away and love Him.

Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." Luke 9:23

As I type this, I can almost see my "self" out of the corner of my eye getting red in the face, getting ready to pitch a fit! I've really got my work cut out for me. I've also got the promises of God.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Will I fall? Yes, many times. Will I fail? No I won't. Not because of me though!

My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. John 10:27-28

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. Gal. 2:20.



May God bless you abundantly in the coming year.



11 comments:

  1. my self is a hard one to deal with as well.
    always getting in the way, needing love and attention, wanting stuff...

    thanks for being here.
    God bless you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, sweetie! Thanks for being transparent and using yourself to remind each of us to step away from the center of our own world. We do seem to get in the way, don't we? This follows on the heels of my most important solution for improving my New Year, and it just happens to be the title of an old hymn...I Surrender All!

    May you experience a very special visitation of the Lord's presence in the New Year!

    Hugs and blessings...Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://theblogofnancy.blogspot.com/2008/12/dear-blog-friends.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, bless you! It's a great honor to me to have your friendship.. thank you for sending me your special post. I'm a spoiled stinker :-)


    Lynn, I love that song! I think surrendering, holiness and self denial have been a recurring tap on the shoulder for me this past year. I really want to develop those attributes of character. 2009 here we come!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit the nail on the head!
    Got any room in that boat for another sinner?
    Rox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rox, I'm a sinner saved by grace! That's why I want so much to please Him. I want to hear those words.. "well done, good and faithful servant".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and Rox, there is always room for another :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We can always have a fresh beginning... funny, I was just thinking about that this morning. It is Friday but it feels like Monday because it is the beginning of a new year!
    Less of me and more of Him, let's stick to that.
    Great post Lorrie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do, I do, I do want to "stick to that!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed this today. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Billy ~ thanks for coming over! I think we all have this struggle in common when we really want to please God :-)

    ReplyDelete