Friday, November 28, 2008

You are Me

My grandma is old and has been incapable of taking complete care of herself for many years now. My mom and my aunts go to great lengths to make sure she has everything she needs and is able to live at home.

It's amazing to see how love overpowers weariness. Anyone could make sure she gets her meals and medicines. It's much more than that. They surround her. They honor her. And if anyone were to mistreat her it would be as if they had done so to them.

A couple Fridays back I was privileged enough to take a day off work to help my mom take grandma shopping. One or two stops and lunch is an all day event. Everything is done at slow speed.

We had the wheelchair in the trunk and then back out again; we had the sweater on; we took the sweater off; she heard what was being said; then she didn't; we reached for that; then we put that back; then...we needed to find the bathroom!

After getting her "situated" in the bathroom we stepped out. We always want to leave her with as much dignity as possible. Poor grandma. In times like these, she feels she is too much trouble.

She is not too much trouble. She is me. She is mom. We will each take her place one day. Perhaps with different challenges but in a very real sense we are each other. The Bible speaks of it and I, in fleeting moments am able to grasp some of it.

And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. Luke 6:31

Our love towards others will be evidence used to judge us one day.

'For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink: I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.' Matt 25:35-40

How I love my grandma, my husband, my co-worker and you tells God how much I love Him which comes back to me in the day of judgment. Or to put it another way... What we do unto others is what we do unto Him which will determine what is done unto us!

I am you. You are me.



14 comments:

  1. How loving! I wish my grandmother was still here. I've been without her for 49 years. Oh, how I miss her. Enjoy your time with your precious grandmother. You are very fortunate to have her. I love this. Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynn! You're a sweetie. It will be wonderful one day to know we will never be separated again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful word... My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and went through the most traumatic 6 months this year. We never thought we would have her for Christmas, but God kept her safe and she is now on her way to recovery. I can relate to how you feel towards your grandma... God bless you for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben - thank you! How wonderful about your grandmas recovery.. God is good. Blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen Lorrie, the measure we use....
    Great post, thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good words of connection and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful story, and so true. The love we show to others is a reflection of our love for God. Wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Billy for your kind words. I figure we need to spoil each other big time until we all get to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post. I'm so glad you were featured today over at Blogapalooza. There's a song we sing often at baptisms, confirmations and funerals called Borning Cry. I'm thinking of that joyous song right now, because it talks about how Jesus is right alongside us when we were babies through our old age. You, my dear, have been the hands and feet of Jesus to your grandma.
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is only the second post I've read on your blog, and I'm already convinced that you need to write a book. Your words are so addictive!

    I am glad you have such a sweet place in your heart for your Grandmother. Many people would roll their eyes at the very thought of spending a day with a Grandparent! I know she must love you and appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully said. The reminder is always needed. Have a great day!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, thanks for coming over today. What a neat blessing. My mom and her sisters are really the ones that take care of grandma. I just have the pleasure every now and then. It is a pleasure though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tabetha ~ oh what you said! I can't imagine writing a whole book. It's always been a dream though. Thanks for coming over and inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lori ~ blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete