Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dreams

Rarely do I remember my dreams. If I do remember one it's usually a bizarre drama created by the chemical reaction of eating too many artichoke hearts with my black bean pizza. Entirely worth the risk but still... an obvious freak of nature!

We see little movie trailers while unplugged from consciousness. Doesn't that seem weird? Dreams are one of those things I want to ask about when I get to Heaven. I know they serve a purpose.

In the Bible they are very significant. King Saul was upset when he could not longer find guidance in his dreams.

1 Samuel 23:6 And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets.

Joseph was able to interpret dreams. We see this in the account of the butler and the baker.

Genesis 40:8 And they said to him, "We each have had a dream, and there is no interpreter of it." So Joseph said to them, "Do not interpretations belong to God? Tell them to me, please."

The butlers dream was good in that it told about his restoration to his former position of serving Pharaoh. The bakers dream was not so good. His foretold his own death. Yikes!

Prophetic dreams were given to ungodly rulers such as Pharaoh and Nebuchadnezzar. These served God's purpose as He always provided clear interpretation through a prophet. He wanted those rulers to fully understand.

Thankfully, for Joseph, Mary, the baby Jesus and us, instruction was provided too.

Matthew 2:13 Now when they departed, behold, and angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, "Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him."

As always, then and now, there are some flaky folks with some flaky dreams. This does not please God.

Jeremiah 23:25 "I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in My name, saying, 'I have dreamed, I have dreamed!"

Sound familiar?

So what do we do with our own dreams? Most are shrugged off and soon forgotten but what about those that are different? We don't forget them because somehow we know they are telling us something.

I'm learning to pay attention! Most often, all I know to do is pray.

One night I dreamed about my mom. There wasn't much motion in the dream but I kept seeing her sitting in a chair. She appeared pale and not well. Then slowly her head tilted back and her mouth came open like she fainted or something. Over and over, all night long the same clip.

When morning came I remarked to my husband... "I'm worn out! I've been praying for mom all night long because of this weird dream I was having."

Later this same morning I got a call at work that mom was in the hospital with the flu. She was first taken to a local clinic but while sitting in a chair in the examining room her head went back and she lost consciousness. It was the scene from my dream!

Do my dreams compare to those in the Bible? I don't think so but I do think we need to be sensitive to our dreams. Also, keep things in balance. Sometimes, just keep them to ourselves! Know when to toss them but know when to heed them too.


For in the multitude of dreams and many words there is also vanity. But fear God. Eccl. 5:7


Photo: Dream Walk taken by my husband Warren.



5 comments:

  1. good post.
    i have not thought too much about my dreams lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. word for the day...

    "rejoice"

    pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have many dreams, I guess... maybe I just don't remember them. One thing I learned about dreams comes from Genesis 41:32 where it says: "The repetition of your dream means that the matter is fixed by God and that He will make it happen in the near future".
    PS: tell Warren he took an awesome picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good word Nancy!!

    Thanks Marja for visiting and for your comments. ... very nice of you to include Warren too! I will keep that verse in mind. I missed it in my study somehow :)

    ReplyDelete