Thursday, October 30, 2008

Where it's at

Working with the public is a wonderful thing but believe me; it's hard not to get cynical and sarcastic. Well I hate that. I don't want to be that way. I want to be full of joy. I want to be salt. I want to be light!

So here comes another Monday and I'm assigned to reception where a typical day for 5 workers is to screen and interview approximately 350 people. No problem though, I'm ready. I've had a great devotional time prior to work, I've got my spiritual armor on and as I open my window I am saying to the Lord... "Here I am, looking for opportunities today. Send me someone."

Hours later, the day is moving along typically but it's busier than usual and I'm feeling a weariness. I feel the cynic lurking.

"Number 203, window C please"

A shriveled little old lady with a handful of letters (I'm sure she does not understand) slowly makes her way to my window.

"Good afternoon ma'am. How may I help you today?"

Up comes a huge black handbag to the counter and she starts digging... and digging.

"Ma'am, I see you have some letters there. Do you need help with them?"

Her arm is into the handbag up to her elbow now. "I know you need to see my ID. I had it just a moment ago."

Did I mention that we were busier than usual? I sit back in my chair with a heavy sigh. I'm annoyed.

She finally fishes out her ID and hands it to me. "Okay, here's my problem honey..."

Long story short, with an excruciating exercise in patience I was able to help the lady and was anxious to move on to the next person and get the lobby back to a reasonable, less frightening capacity.

As the lady is packing up her handbag I reach for the intercom to call the next person and I hear from within me... "Slow down, not so quick."

I knew that voice! Suddenly I was recharged. "Forgive me Lord."

I set the intercom down and faced the little lady. "Ma'am, is there anything else I can help you with today?"

She paused for a long moment before looking me in the eye and said, "Would you pray for me?"

"Well I can certainly do that. What's going on?"

She set the handbag back down. "I've got a lot of unpleasant business to take care of today and I don't feel well. Just pray that I will somehow get through this day."

My heart softened as I reached for her wrinkled little hand and we closed our eyes together for just a moment. I said a short prayer for her and then squeezed her hand. Not a word was said afterwards. We just smiled at each other and she gathered up her things and left the building.

What a special moment! I had almost missed it because of weariness and a bad attitude but by God's grace He had used me. Me!
A divine encounter scheduled by the Master of the universe. Now that is where it's at! It made me want to cry. It made we want to do it again.

"Number 225, window C please. How may WE help you today?"



For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself"
Galatians 5:14



8 comments:

  1. Wow, great post Lorrie. I am sure we can all relate to that kind of situations. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi just popped in to say hello and this brought tears to my eyes. God is so good . we only have to still our busy day and we can see Him in action. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. nAncY, Marja and Jack,
    Thanks so much.. I cherish your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great servant of God you are! You give me inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tabetha ~ YOU give me inspiration :-) Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Lorrie ~

    What's taken me so long? What a lovely place you have here! I have really enjoyed perusing and reading your poems and things, but this was particularly profound and moving. You have a gift. Thank you for sharing it.

    Take care,

    "Pearl"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pearl! What a fabulous treat to see your comment in my box :-) Thanks for coming over and for your generous words. You've blessed me!

    ReplyDelete